2020 Caregiver of the Year Awards
Rolling Out the Red Carpet for Our Caregivers!
Welcome to the hub for the upcoming 2020 Caregiver of the Year Awards! Here you’ll find all the information and resources you need to be a part of the big day. All the forms for nominations and scholarships, deadlines and due dates, even tips on how to write effective nomination essays! This page will be updating as we get closer to the event, so check back frequently.When and Where NominationsScholarships
When and Where
Let’s get the basics out of the way right off the bat! The 2020 Caregiver of the Year Awards will be held at the McCleary Auditorium at Saint Alphonsus Medical Center on May 19th, 2020. Doors will open at 11:30am, and the banquet will begin at 12:00pm.Tickets sell out every year, so make sure to get yours as soon as they’re available!
Honoring the Best of the Treasure Valley
Of course, there’d be no Caregiver of the Year Awards if there were no caregivers to give awards to! Here is everything you need to know to get your deserving caregivers nominated.
First things first, download the nomination form right here!2020 Nomination Form (Coming Soon!)
We know that writing essays can be difficult! Check here for some tips on how to write an effective nomination essay.Essay Writing Tips
THE SELECTION PROCESS
Ever wonder how the finalists and and winners are selected? Here’s how the process works.Selection Process
The Selection Process
Every year, the Caregiver of the Year committee receives many nominations for deserving caregivers around the Treasure Valley. We wish we could give awards to all of them! At the end of the day, though, selections need to be made. Here’s how the process works:Once the due date for nominations passes, all of the nomination forms are collected and the employer is removed from the essays and applications. These nominations are then handed off to a subcommittee to read through and consider. The subcommittee will then vote on each application with a cascading point system, awarding a certain number of points to each application they feel as most deserving. The top 12 point-earners from each of the PCA and CNA categories then become our finalists. Once the finalists are selected, the entire Caregiver of the Year Committee convenes to read the essays for each of the 24 finalists. Members that are employed by the same company as anyone in each of the categories is recused from voting in that category. The committee then votes on their top three candidates from each category. The top earner in each then becomes our winner.
Essay Writing Tips
If you read the Selection Process section, you know how important the essays are to the nomination process! We also know that writing effective essays can be difficult. Here are a few tips to help get you on the right track.
1) Intros and conclusions are always difficult, but don’t get hung up on them in your nomination essay. Start with something along the lines of “I’m writing to nominate so-and-so,” and then run through a quick run-down of how they fit each of the criteria from the form. This part should be brief before getting into specifics in the body of the essay. For your conclusion a simple statement about how they should be Caregiver of the Year will suffice!
2) It’s all about specific examples. Don’t just tell us “Jane is always on time and goes above and beyond for her clients.” Give us an example of when she did that! Saying “Jane has given up several weekends and holidays” is not as effective as saying “Jane took time away from her family to see her client on Christmas because he had no family in the area and she didn’t want him to be alone.” You’re saying essentially the same thing, but painting a far more complete picture of what the caregiver does for her clients.
3) Just being nominated speaks to their value, the goal of the essay it to set them apart. General platitudes are nice to pepper in, but keep in mind that every nominee we get is an exemplary caregiver. “We wish we could clone her!” is nice, but every employer feels that way about their nominee, so tells us why! We already know that you value your employee, you nominated them after all – but tell us what they do (specifically!) that makes you feel that way. We’re not saying to leave out how much you love the heck out of your caregiver, just make sure to give us the reasons why!
4) Stories reign supreme. The committee is made up of actual, human people with actual, human emotions. If you appeal to those emotions, your candidate is a lot more likely to recieve higher consideration. Give us an anecdote about a time that your caregiver really went above and beyond. A testimonial from a client is perfect – and try to get them to describe a specific event. “Our caregiver Jake will connect with clients and sing with them” is good, “Jake stayed up all night with his client on a Saturday night playing the Irish folk music of his client’s youth on his guitar while knitting a coat-of-arms quilt and reminiscing about days past because the client had missed his veteran’s reunion to take care of his ailing wife” is much, much better. Man, this fictional Jake character sounds amazing.
5) Keep it to at most a page, and get it in on time! We’re not saying we’ve never chosen anyone with a particularly long-winded essay, but c’mon, have pity on us. We have to read a lot of essays.
Our sponsors are really what make this event HAPPEN! Every year we’re amazed by the outpouring of support for our caregivers from local businesses and community leaders. Every dollar you donate goes towards honoring these amazing caregivers and providing scholarships for the next generation of health care in the Treasure Valley.HAPPEN is a 501(c)3 non-profit, so your donation is tax deductible, and you’ll receive a link on the happenidaho.com website (on this very page, after the event!), acknowledgement at the event, and a number of seats at the event depending on your donation level. There’s even more information in the sponsorship packet, but it really all comes down to showing support for those that selflessly support our community year-round. Sponsorships start at the Bronze level for as little as $100, so download your packet now! SPONSORSHIP PACKET (Coming Soon!)